* * *
Once upon a time, there lived a lonely beet in my fridge. He stayed in the cool, dark vegetable drawer for over 3 weeks, waiting patiently to be invited to the nightly dinner party. However, the only way he could be eaten was with a tart, creamy girlfriend to balance out his sweet, earthiness.
I didn’t feel like driving to the grocery store for just one ingredient. Luckily, a variety of local cheeses are sold at my summer job, Firelight Camps. I opened the camp store mini fridge, and browsed through the selection: brie, cheddar…CHEVRE! We usually have plain or herbed in stock, but all that was left was horseradish…tons of it. I guess no one was brave enough to try it…until I came along.
* * *
Name: Chèvre Horseradish
Brand: Nettle Meadow
Origin: Warrensburg · New York
Varieties: Mixed Herb · Pumpkin Spice · Tellicherry Pepper & Lemon Verbena
Ingredients: pasteurized goat’s milk · horseradish root · sea salt · lactic cultures · vegetarian enzymes
Calories: 100 = 1 oz
Replaces: cream cheese
- super creamy, soft, & spreadable
- horseradish flavor comes through
- no funky ingredients
- legit farm-fresh cheese (you can taste the difference!)
- was expecting it to have more kick!
- no expiration date! I don’t know how long it will last, perhaps it’s container helps preserve freshness.
- pricey, but in this case, you get what you pay for (cuz this is good sh*t)
TASTE & TEXTURE
- like dill pickles
- slightly sweet, tangy, pungent
- creamy & soft
~*~ MORE ~*~
Recipe: Horseradish Rice Omelette
Other Products: Nettle Meadow Cheeses
One thought on “Horseradish Goat Cheese”