Alp Blossom Cheese

IMG_8730

———————————

BASIC INFO

About: This cheese is coated in a confetti of dried edible flowers and herbs from the surrounding Alpine Mountain meadows. Five pound wheels are aged 6 months, producing a rich, creamy flavor.

Country of Origin: Austria

Animal of Origin: Cow

———————————

HEALTH INFO

Ingredients: pasteurized cow’s milk • salt • cornflower • marigold • rose petals • lavender • parsley • rosemary • garlic • savory • sea salt • onion • oregano • paprika • galangal • black pepper • cultures • animal rennet

Replaces: gruyère or swiss

———————————

WHERE TO FIND

Store: Whole Foods, Specialty Cheese Shops (I found mine at Wegman’s)

Online: Murray’s Cheese • Crisafullis Cheese Shop

———————————

HOW TO STORE

Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; for even better results, wrap first in wax or parchment paper and then cover with plastic wrap before refrigerating. Will last 3 to 4 weeks.

———————————

TASTE & TEXTURE

• mellow; mild
  • floral aroma
  • creamy
  • buttery
  • nutty
  • grassy
  • barnyard-y

———————————

FUN FACTS

• The holes in Swiss or mountain-type cheeses are called “eyes”. The bubbles form as a result of carbon dioxide gas produced by bacteria in the cheese.
  • 34 different species of herbs and flora are found in the Alpine Mountain meadows. This cheese features 13.

IMG_8733.jpg

SaveSave

SaveSave

One thought on “Alp Blossom Cheese

1. April 30, 2018 at 3:13 pm

Looks good😋

• April 30, 2018 at 3:14 pm

And tastes good if you like funky cheese!

• April 30, 2018 at 3:15 pm

Ohh yeah!!

2. January 18, 2019 at 8:28 pm

I bought some at DiBruno Bros in Philly. It’s a bit pricy but very very good. I asked the Cheese Monger for something not hard, not soft and nutty and this is what he gave me. Encouraged me to eat the rind as well. Good stuff!

• Tess
      January 19, 2019 at 5:44 pm

Hi Pete, so glad you found some! It is pricy, but so worth it…especially for a special occasion. That rind is a showstopper for cheese boards. You can really taste the grass and the flowers!

3. Holly Minor
    February 4, 2019 at 6:49 pm

I bought this and I guess mine was bad, because there was nothing good or floral about it. The smell was so atrocious, I couldn’t even bring myself to taste it. My husband and I nicknamed it “ass cheese” because that’s exactly what it smelled like.

• Tess
      February 4, 2019 at 7:21 pm

Haha! Thanks for your honest feedback, Holly. Alp Blossom is definitely pungent. It’s got that barnyard aroma not many consider pleasant. I’m sorry you and your husband weren’t a fan, maybe try grating and mixing it in with another cheese so it’s more palatable!

Food for Thought