It’s hard to find a health snack that ticks all the marks— flavor, crunch, and non-stop munch. Now Biena, the award-winning healthy snack brand of Boston, Massachusetts, has redefined the chickpea…and whatdayaknow, Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies too!
Its humble beginning started with pregnant Momma, Poorvi Parodia, looking to curb her ferocious crunch cravings. Her Indian roots and chickpea laden memories got the ball rolling. After much trial and error, the perfect recipe for light, crunchy, and flavorful roasted chickpeas was born…and later her child of course.
Grown and harvested on family-owned farms in the US, chickpeas are brined, roasted, and coated in a variety of spice blends from Rockin’ Ranch to Cinnamon Crunch. A simple process that yields tasty results guaranteed to make you finish the bag.
Chocolate and Chickpeas? I know, sounds so wrong, but surprisingly is so right. The texture is light and crunchy, and the flavor is a balance of salty, nutty, and earthy. Coat them in peppermint dark chocolate and you’ve got yourself a match made for vegans and non-vegans alike. I highly recommend keeping a bag or two stashed in your desk drawer for when hunger strikes, and I can vouch for them being a great snack alternative to Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies. They’d be great in granola or topped on ice cream, but that’s just an assumption. I ate the whole bag without testing their versatility (oops, teehee).
- Sustainable, fair trade, and GMO-free
- Works as a dessert or mid-day snack
- No mess, just pop in your mouth
- Not the true experience of a Girl Scout cookie, which is kind of misleading for me. I would just call them Chocolate Peppermint Chickpeas.
- Great initial crunch, but gets mealy after a thorough chew. These aren’t really meant to be slowly savored one by one. A quick munch and you’ll skip that weird texture.
- Expensive for what you’re getting. One of my biggest pet peeves is the vacuum sealed space in snack bags and this one is no exception. I could make these myself at a cheaper cost.
For those who skipped out on the Girl Scout orders this year, this snack is a great rebound. But at the end of the day, they’re pricy and a one-time experience for me. I’d make them myself next time. Available on Amazon and Biena Snacks, or at CVS, Stop & Shop, Target, Walmart, and Whole Foods Market. Buy 2 bags, just in case 😉
~*~ MORE ~*~
Make Your Own (just add peppermint extract, and I suggest soaking the chickpeas overnight in salt water)